shabby blog

Friday, April 11, 2014

"Give us today our daily bread"

One thing I am most thankful for with having my boys is the way God shows me through them,
 in hundreds of ways,
 how much he cares and loves for me.
Lately life has felt heavy, through some of our own life circumstances as well as through the suffering of some of those around me.
I feel like I am in the midst of God breaking and transforming my heart for the better,
and I am thankful.
These words "Give us today our daily bread" found in Matthew 6:11 jumped off the page at me a couple weeks ago as I was reading in this fabulous devo,


In exodus, God  literally dropped bread from the sky for the Hebrews
while they were wandering in the desert and he gave them explicit instructions for them to go out and gather enough bread for that day only
He didn't say to hoard and save up enough for the coming days but only take what they would need for that day alone. 
Think about how desperate you would be to hoard as much as you could after wandering in the desert for 40 YEARS!!!!
Heck we hoarded bread for the POSSIBILITY of POTENTIALLY 3-4 DAYS without power when it snowed!!!
The trust they had to have is unbelievable.
God is begging us to not obsess about tomorrow, or 5 years from now, or 10 years from now but to trust him in the present. 
He is saying, enjoy this "bread" today or enjoy it never. 
I had a couple of hard days recently and the next morning I went into Ford's room to get him out of his crib, 
his huge grin on his face,
standing with his arms out towards me,
I thought to myself,
he has no idea what yesterday was, 
he doesn't care what tomorrow brings, 
he just knows that right now, 
his mom is coming to get him.
I looked at him and said "Ford, today is a new day".
There has never been a day that I have not provided Ford with what he needs.
Everything I do for him each day is out of an act of love for him.
To make him grow.
to give him what he needs.
I have never done anything to make him believe anything otherwise.


And my God feels the same towards me.
He looks at me and says, 
"Rebecca, when have I ever not given you what you need?
when have I ever not given you your daily bread? Everything I do for you is out of an act of love for you, to make you grow, and give you what you need, I have never done anything to make you believe otherwise".
So I am resting in the fact that he will give us THIS DAY our daily bread. That's enough.
I trust him.
I may not always like what I see,
but I trust him.



1 comment:

  1. This is so great, Rebecca, and exactly what I need to read and believe right now too. Thank you. We love y'all so much.

    ReplyDelete