shabby blog

Monday, January 9, 2012

This year......

In the book of Nehemiah, 
Nehemiah is working to rebuild the wall around Jerusalem and faces opposition from some guys with weird names that want to keep him from doing what he feels God has called him to do. 
They ask him to meet them down in a nearby village in order to distract him from finishing his job. 
Nehemiah responds (well aware of their intentions), 
"I am doing a great work and I cannot come down". Nehemiah 6:3
I want this year to be a year of less distraction, 
more discipline,
more focus,
focus on where God is working,
and that is where I want to be.
I don't want to get lost in distractions of this world
money, things, busyness, comparison, image, computer, t.v.......
I want to be able to say,
"no, I'm doing a great work and I cannot come down".
And with better focus I believe comes contentment
being content with what I have. 
In my little world I am easily swayed to want new shiny things,
shiny stainless steel refrigerator,
shiny new granite countertops,
shiny new pair of shoes,
shiny new ipad,
shiny new lamp,
shiny new piece of furniture,
the list goes on.....................
everyday I can come up with new shiny things to desire.
Every once in a while I fall into the trap of wondering what it would be like if Trip wasn't on Young Life staff,
I think how nice it would be if he worked for a church where he didn't have to raise his salary.
I think how nice it would be if he worked in the business world and had a bigger income and things like bonuses. 
I think how nice it would be to not live month to month.
I think how nice it would be to never worry about being on reduced pay because support didn't come in.
And then I feel guilty
because we are so rich
we have enough
we have more than enough
we have plenty
And Trip is doing a great work and he cannot come down!
And we're married, 
so that makes us one, 
SO I am doing a great work and I cannot come down!

Every post needs a picture.........




2 comments:

  1. Becca, that's beautiful. Thank you for sharing so honestly. You ARE doing a great work, and may you not come down from it any time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! You will cherish that picture forever. ANd you are both doing a great work! Trip is one of those people who has changed so many lives and that is eternal!

    ReplyDelete