shabby blog

Monday, September 17, 2012

In the neighborhood

Probably THE greatest thing about my childhood was the neighborhood I grew up in
My parents moved into their current house on Orchard Run when I was one
so it's the only house I've ever known,
I've had dreams that my parents were selling the house and I was devastated
Some of my parents best friends built houses in the same neighborhood
So I grew up running around outside playing baseball, spotlight, capture flag, street hockey etc
with at least 18 other kids all around my age.
I rarely had friends over because I always had people to play with in my neighborhood
3 of the neighborhood girls were in my wedding,
and every year we always had a cookout in the street and I always loved them as a kid,
we had bike parades, egg toss contests, pumpkin carving, I have the best memories!
Every Christmas we have a "caroling" party and it's still my favorite party of the Christmas season.
We brought back the tradition Sunday night and had a neighborhood cookout again,
many of the "kids" are now married and have their own kids, and some don't live in town anymore but the bond is still the same.
These neighborhood families are truly like family to me, they watched me grow up and continue to be a part of my life.
I would do ANYTHING to be able to recreate this kind of neighborhood for my children!
I forgot to take my real camera so I only got a few dinky phone pics.

these three are trouble


Kelly and Trip won the egg toss

and I just have to add a random cute bath picture



1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad we are your current neighbors! What a blessing!
    Daye has requested to be apart of the egg toss. She says she will dominate

    ReplyDelete