shabby blog

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

A sweet afternoon

I just want to take a minute to document this afternoon,
it was a sweet one,
just ordinary,
but sweet.
After Brooks woke up from his nap I "treated" Brooks to some homemade popcorn for snack,
he LOVES popcorn and we don't have it very often.
 I took a moment to sit with him at the table and eat.
Sadly I don't do this often, I usually let him entertain himself in the playroom or leave him at the table while I piddle around the house or feed Ford.
He always gets so excited when I sit and eat with him.
Trip is gone many nights of the week with Young Life so I usually wait to put Brooks to bed before I eat dinner so he usually sits at the table without me.
But anyway, it was a sweet time just to sit and be silly and eat popcorn with my little 2 year old.


Then we "made" some Lightening McQueen  (pilsbury slice and bake) cookies that we picked up at Target this morning.
Brooks loves Lightening McQueen AND cookies so this was a huge hit.
We sat on the couch watching Mickey Mouse club while the cookies baked and B LOVES for me to sit by him on the couch,
so I sat by him and without any prompt he hugged my neck and gave me a kiss on the cheek and said "love you".
Melt my heart!
A really sweet moment in the life of a mom.
We ended the afternoon with a good walk in the stroller with no crying from either kiddos or begging for more snacks and Brooks politely waved to everyone we passed. He did try to keep talking to me while I had my headphones on which was a bit distracting but what can I say, he's a talker!
I don't want to miss the good moments,
I don't want to take them for granted because it can be easy to focus on the tough afternoons, the ones where nobody seems happy and I am just waiting for bedtime to come around.
I don't want to miss out on this blip of time with 2 year old Brooks.
Earlier this week a woman at the shoe store looked at me with my boys and just smiled and said she wished her kids were still this young.
So I have to keep writing this little ordinary stuff down so that I won't forget!

And later this afternoon........
while I was putting Ford to bed, 
Brooks decided it would be fun to fling yogurt all over the dog!
He was so proud of himself with a big grin.
I had to put my stern face on and tell him that wasn't ok but I quickly had to turn around so he couldn't see my face because it was so funny!
Somehow God gave me a sense of humor in this moment rather than me losing my cool.

And I gotta add a cute picture of this nugget in the stroller today! 
I can only hope that his personality is going to be as outstanding as his hair!




No comments:

Post a Comment